Two factors are key to maintain good health in older age: remaining active and maintaining friendships.
Befriending an older person on a weekly or fortnightly basis helps them stay connected. In most cases, it is proven to make a lasting positive difference in their lives.
Feeling valued, creative expression, using skills and engaging with other people all build friendships and enhance feelings of well-being which strengthens resilience during difficult times.
Evidence states that volunteers are just as likely to positively benefit from the experience as the people they help.
Direct and face-to-face contact is significant in establishing a trusted relationship with people in later life who, regardless of their age, highly value consistent and honest relationships that are developed over time. These relationships often lead to emotional benefits, enhancing health and well-being.
In Brighton and Hove where our flagship project is based there is a huge need. In fact there are in the region of 7000 elderly people who are thought to meet our criteria for services. If we are going to achieve our goal of working in partnership with individuals and organisations to tackle loneliness and reduce isolation together then we need your help!
- Do you have a heart for older people?
- Would you like to make a positive difference in someone’s life?
- Do you have a spare hour every week or fortnight to spend giving quality ‘time to talk’ and companionship with a carefully matched friend?
- Do you live in or around Brighton and Hove, Adur or Worthing?
If the answer is YES please download a volunteer information pack and application form today. Once the application has been completed please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Once your completed application has been received we will process your references and invite you to attend our next volunteer induction session.
Befriending Opportunities Available
- Befriender – for friendship and company.
- Befriender – for friendship, company and the occasional trip out and about.
- Activity Befriender – short term volunteering for people who are willing and able to take an older person to a group, activity or event of interest to help them become connected to the community.
- Volunteer Driver – befriending while transporting an older person to an activity or event to help them become socially included